Is the Blue Ox Hitch any good? Only if you’re looking for an easy to use hitch that’s designed for towing a camper, trailer, boat or other heavy loads.
Blue Ox’s line of hitches are very popular towing options that have been around since the 1970s. Being in production for over 40 years they’ve had plenty of time to refine their design.
In this article, we’ll be exploring if the Blue Ox Hitch is all hype or not. We have a huge amount of experience reviewing all sorts of items. You can trust us when we say we have no shame in reporting the good and the bad of the Blue Ox Hitch.
Blue Ox Hitch Features
Blue Ox Hitches come in various sizes and tow ratings depending on what you need to haul. We reviewed several of them to see if they had what it takes. Blue Ox hitches are known for the variety of features they have.
- Their bases are compatible with all Class III to VI vehicles. This is the widest range of compatibility on the market
- Their hitches are also compatible with popular trucks and SUVs
- The company is known for creating hitches that are not only functional but also aesthetically pleasing
All Models of Blue Ox Hitch Share Some Basic Universal Features:
- Prevents/Reduces sway in any type of weather by at least 30%
- Most models require no pins or clips to attach to your vehicle
- You can backup without disconnecting
- You can quickly attach or detach the assembly
- The spring bars are interchangeable
Blue Ox Hitch Specifications
Most Blue Ox hitches have a standard weight capacity of 5,000 pounds and a gross towing weight capacity of 10,000 pounds. There are some models that can handle up to 20,000 pounds.
The standard weight capacity refers to how much the hitch can handle before the vehicle's frame is at risk. The gross towing weight capacity refers to how much the hitch can handle before the vehicle's engine has to work harder to move the trailer.
- All steel construction (One model is aluminum)
- Towing capacities between 5,000 - 20,000 pounds
- All hitches above 5,000 pound rating come with rubber boots to prevent grime buildup.
What We Like About Our Blue Ox
Blue Ox tow bars are far and away the most popular choice for anyone looking to tow with a vehicle, and for good reason. We like that they’ve built their company on the foundation of three pillars: reliability, innovation, and safety.
It is no longer enough to just offer a hitch that is attached to the frame of the vehicle. Their attention to detail is good for us, as we are able to learn more about towing and get better at choosing the right tool for the job.
Very Easy to Use
- Even if you’ve never used a hitch before, the included instructions are a breeze to go through and easily understood.
No Assembly Required
- The hitches come completely assembled out of the box, so installation is really no problem.
- Blue Ox hitches are built to last. The steel construction makes the units very durable.
The (Anti) Sway System Is Incredible
- Blue Ox is correct when they claim their sway system eliminates/reduces sway. We tested the system on a windy day pulling a 5,000 pound trailer. The system works without fail.
What We Don’t Like About Our Blue Ox
It’s Not As Quiet as We Thought It Would Be
- Even though we know this is a common problem with this type of hitch, it's still a problem.
The Tail Light Wiring Kits Contain Toxic Chemicals
- If you choose to purchase the optional Tail Light Wiring Kit, be aware that this item can expose you to the chemical Di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate (DEHP). This chemical can cause nasty things such as cancer, birth defects and other illnesses.
The Hitch Heads Are Not of the Best Quality (Sometimes)
- They are made of plastic and can potentially break pretty easily. The problem is not that they break, but that Blue Ox does not sell replacement heads. This means that if the heads break, the whole tow bar is rendered useless.
Can You Backup With a Blue Ox Tow Bar?
Can you backup with a blue ox tow bar? Most certainly. The blue ox tow bar is a great way to add towing capacity to your vehicle. It’s designed so that you will never have to disconnect it in order to back up.
How Does Blue Ox Prevent Sway?
How does Blue Ox prevent sway? The hitch/tow bar assembly attaches to the vehicle frame to stabilize the vehicle, and comes with an integrated sway control system that reduces sway by 30 percent. Best of all, it is very easy to install. If you're tired of dealing with sway, you should give the Blue Ox SwayPro a try.
Blue Ox hitches are a popular choice for towing large trailers, which is why we wanted to get a closer look at them. The family-owned company is now one of the most trusted names in hitches.
You won’t go wrong with any model of hitch the company offers. Blue Ox hitches are safe and reliable. We highly recommend them.